YW Calgary Coronavirus Update: May 25, 2020
YW Calgary has been working diligently and closely monitoring the developing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in our city, our province and across the globe. YW Calgary is taking our lead from Alberta Health Services (AHS).
YW is being proactive in our response and action to this virus and making decisions that are appropriate for our employees, clients and customers. We have developed an internal COVID Response Team and have plans in place focused on the health and safety of all people walking through our doors.
In accordance with AHS, some programs and services at YW are closed until further notice. This includes YW Calgary Fitness and Community Spaces.
Several YW programs are available virtually, including Counselling, Domestic Violence Outreach, Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada, Women’s Employment Resource Center, Mindful Moments, Family Access (Visitation) Services, Family Resource Network and COMPASS. For daily updates on YW programs and services call 403-232-1585.
There are several preventive measures that we should all take to prevent the spread of the virus, including:
- Encouraging frequent hand washing, for a minimum of 20 seconds
- Educating and informing staff and clients about proper sanitation and hygiene to protect themselves and others:
- avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands;
- coughing or sneezing into your sleeve and not the hands;
- increasing signage reminders throughout common spaces to encourage handwashing and sanitation
- Cleaning common areas more frequently and deepening our efforts in cleaning and disinfecting surfaces with stronger disinfectants
- Stay home if you’re feeling unwell
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Self-isolate for 14 days if you are returning from travel outside Canada
If you would like more information on the Coronavirus, please refer to the Government of Alberta website.
At YW Calgary, safety is paramount. It is the first principle within our Practice Framework and is our top priority for clients, staff and community. Thank you for your commitment and support in creating a safe community for all.