Volunteers are the lifeblood of any non-profit organization, and the YWCA of Calgary is no exception. We would not be able to keep our doors open to vulnerable women without our dedicated and committed volunteers.
We asked our volunteers why they give their time to the YWCA:
1. “To play bingo with the children, hold the babies, chat with the moms, and for a few hours we just have FUN!” – Harjeet Jugdev, bingo volunteer
2. “The reason I give to the YWCA is it allows me to fill my passion, which is cooking, and the second is the chance to give back to the community and brighten someone’s day when they are in a situation where they may need it. “- Kevin McGowan, volunteer cook assistant at YWCA Sheriff King Home emergency shelter
3. “I volunteer for the YWCA because I believe there is no better way to give back to the community than to enrich the lives of the ones who need it the most. The way the YWCA helps the community is inspiring and I’m happy to have the opportunity to share that inspiration.” – Mandie Woods, volunteer at YWCA Sheriff King Home emergency shelter
4. “Every day I volunteer at the basic needs store. I am impressed with some of these ladies. I particularly love the ones who just want to talk. I have been thanked and blessed for my help. I would like everyone to know that I come home with a smile on my face and I look forward to my next shift.” – Vicky Dallen, volunteer at YWCA Mary Dover House transitional housing and YWCA Sheriff King Home emergency shelter
5. “IHS Energy has seen the difference that the YWCA shelters make for women and children in our community, and we are thankful to play a small part in brightening up the gardens at YWCA Mary Dover House and YWCA Sheriff King Home. We look forward to this endeavor each year because it combines both our philanthropic and environmental passions.” – Demetrio Pagano, volunteer from IHS Energy